37 C.F.R. 1.121 Manner of making amendments in applications.
: One or more application drawings shall be amended in the
following manner: Any changes to an application drawing must be in
compliance with § 1.84 and must be submitted on a replacement sheet of
drawings which shall be an attachment to the amendment document and, in
the top margin, labeled “Replacement Sheet”. Any replacement sheet of
drawings shall include all of the figures appearing on the immediate
prior version of the sheet, even if only one figure is amended. Any new
sheet of drawings containing an additional figure must be labeled in the
top margin as “New Sheet”. All changes to the drawings shall be
explained, in detail, in either the drawing amendment or remarks section
of the amendment paper.
- (1) A marked-up copy of any amended drawing figure, including annotations indicating the changes made, may be included. The marked-up copy must be clearly labeled as “Annotated Sheet” and must be presented in the amendment or remarks section that explains the change to the drawings.
- (2) A marked-up copy of any amended drawing figure, including annotations indicating the changes made, must be provided when required by the examiner.
37 C.F.R. 1.85 Corrections to drawings.
- (a) A utility or plant application will not be placed on the files for examination until objections to the drawings have been corrected. Except as provided in § 1.215(c), any patent application publication will not include drawings filed after the application has been placed on the files for examination. Unless applicant is otherwise notified in an Office action, objections to the drawings in a utility or plant application will not be held in abeyance, and a request to hold objections to the drawings in abeyance will not be considered a bona fide attempt to advance the application to final action (§ 1.135(c)). If a drawing in a design application meets the requirements of § 1.84(e), (f), and (g) and is suitable for reproduction, but is not otherwise in compliance with § 1.84, the drawing may be admitted for examination.
- (b) The Office will not release drawings for purposes of correction. If corrections are necessary, new corrected drawings must be submitted within the time set by the Office.
- (c) If a corrected drawing is required or if a drawing does not comply with § 1.84 at the time an application is allowed, the Office may notify the applicant and set a three-month period of time from the mail date of the notice of allowability within which the applicant must file a corrected drawing in compliance with § 1.84 to avoid abandonment. This time period is not extendable under § 1.136(a) or § 1.136(b).
The United States Patent and Trademark Office does not make drawing changes. It is applicant’s responsibility to ensure that the drawings are corrected. Corrections must be made in accordance with the instructions below.
INFORMATION ON HOW TO EFFECT DRAWING CHANGESReplacement Drawing Sheets
Drawing changes must be made by presenting replacement sheets which incorporate the desired changes and which comply with 37 CFR 1.84. An explanation of the changes made must be presented either in the drawing amendments section, or remarks, section of the amendment paper. Each drawing sheet submitted after the filing date of an application must be labeled in the top margin as either "Replacement Sheet" or "New Sheet" pursuant to 37 CFR 1.121(d). A replacement sheet must include all of the figures appearing on the immediate prior version of the sheet, even if only one figure is being amended. The figure or figure number of the amended drawing(s) must not be labeled as “amended.” If the changes to the drawing figure(s) are not accepted by the examiner, applicant will be notified of any required corrective action in the next Office action. No further drawing submission will be required, unless applicant is notified.
Identifying indicia, if provided, should include the title of the invention, inventor’s name, and application number, or docket number (if any) if an application number has not been assigned to the application. If this information is provided, it must be placed on the front of each sheet and within the top margin.Annotated Drawing Sheets
A marked-up copy of any amended drawing figure, including annotations indicating the changes made, may be submitted or required by the examiner. The annotated drawing sheets must be clearly labeled as “Annotated Sheet” and must be presented in the amendment or remarks section that explains the change(s) to the drawings.Timing of Corrections
Applicant is required to submit acceptable corrected drawings within the time period set in the Office action. See 37 CFR 1.85(a). Failure to take corrective action within the set period will result in ABANDONMENT of the application.
If corrected drawings are required in a Notice of Allowability (PTOL-37), the new drawings MUST be filed within the THREE MONTH shortened statutory period set for reply in the “Notice of Allowability.” Extensions of time may NOT be obtained under the provisions of 37 CFR 1.136 for filing the corrected drawings after the mailing of a Notice of Allowability.
Applicant is reminded that the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office does not make drawing changes and that it is applicant’s responsibility to ensure that the drawings are corrected in accordance with the instructions set forth in the paper mailed on .
The drawings filed on  are acceptable subject to correction of the informalities indicated below. In order to avoid abandonment of this application, correction is required in reply to the Office action. The correction will not be held in abeyance.
1. Use this form paragraph when allowing the application, particularly at time of first action issue. Supply an explanation of drawings informalities (see MPEP § 608.02(b), § 608.02(d) - § 608.02(h) and § 608.02(p)).
The following changes to the drawings have been approved by the examiner and agreed upon by applicant: . In order to avoid abandonment of the application, applicant must make these agreed upon drawing changes.