T.M.E.P. § 108.02
Personal Telephone Assistance
This document contains one section of the Trademark Manual of Examining Procedure (the "TMEP"), Fourth Edition (April 2005). This page was last updated in June 2007. You may return to one either the section index, or to the key word index. If you wish to search the TMEP, simply use the search box that appears on the bottom of every page of BitLaw--be sure to restrict your search to the TMEP in the pop-up list.
For more information on trademark law, please see the Trademark Section of BitLaw.
108.02 Personal Telephone Assistance
If additional information regarding the status of an application or registration is required, callers may telephone the Trademark Assistance Center ("TAC") at (571) 272-9250 or (800) 786-9199 and request a status check. TAC also provides general information about the trademark registration process. TAC is open from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday, except on holidays.
The Trademark Assistance Center will gladly answer questions about the application process. However, USPTO employees cannot:
- conduct trademark searches for the public (see TMEP §104) ;
- comment on the validity of registered marks (see TMEP §1801) ;
- answer questions on whether a particular mark or type of mark is eligible for trademark registration;
- offer legal advice or opinions about common law trademark rights, state registrations, or trademark infringement claims; or
- aid in the selection of a private trademark attorney or search firm (37 C.F.R. 2.11).