37 CFR 102.22: Definitions
Taken from the Ninth Edition of the MPEP, Revision 08.2017, Last Revised in January 2018
Previous: §102.21 | Next: §102.23
- (a) All terms used in this subpart which are defined in 5 U.S.C. 552a shall have the same meaning herein.
- (b) As used in this subpart:
- (1) Act means the "Privacy Act of 1974, as amended (5 U.S.C. 552a)".
- (2) Appeal means a request by an individual to review and reverse an initial denial of a request by that individual for correction or amendment.
- (3) USPTO means the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
- (4) Inquiry means either a request for general information regarding the Act and this subpart or a request by an individual (or that individual’s parent or guardian) that USPTO determine whether it has any record in a system of records which pertains to that individual.
- (5) Person means any human being and also shall include but not be limited to, corporations, associations, partnerships, trustees, receivers, personal representatives, and public or private organizations.
- (6) Privacy Officer means a USPTO employee designated to administer this subpart.
- (7) Request for access means a request by an individual or an individual’s parent or guardian to see a record which is in a particular system of records and which pertains to that individual.
- (8) Request for correction or amendment means the request by an individual or an individual’s parent or guardian that USPTO change (either by correction, amendment, addition or deletion) a particular record in a system of records which pertains to that individual.
[Added, 65 FR 52916, Aug. 31, 2000, effective Oct. 2, 2000]