- (a) Director means the Under Secretary of Commerce for Intellectual Property and Director of the United States Patent and Trademark Office (see § 1.9(j) ).
- (b) Foreign government means the duly-constituted executive of a foreign nation, or an international or regional intergovernmental organization which has been empowered by its member states to request issuance of Presidential proclamations on their behalf under this part.
- (c) Interim order means an order issued by the Secretary of Commerce under 17 U.S.C. 914.
- (d) Mask work means a series of related images, however fixed or encoded —
- (1) Having or representing the predetermined, three-dimensional pattern of metallic, insulating, or semiconductor material present or removed from the layers of a semiconductor chip product; and
- (2) In which series the relation of the images to one another is that each image has the pattern of the surface of one form of the semiconductor chip product.
- (e) Presidential proclamation means an action by the President extending to foreign nationals, domiciliaries and sovereign authorities the privilege of applying for registrations for mask works pursuant to 17 U.S.C. 902.
- (f) Request means a request by a foreign government for the issuance of a Presidential proclamation.
- (g) Proceeding means a proceeding to issue an interim order extending protection to foreign nationals, domiciliaries and sovereign authorities under 17 U.S.C. Chapter 9.
- (h) Secretary means the Secretary of Commerce.
[Added, 53 FR 24447, June 29, 1988, effective August 1, 1988; para. (a) revised, 68 FR 14332, Mar. 25, 2003, effective May 1, 2003]