1.497 (pre-AIA) Oath or declaration under 35 U.S.C. 371(c)(4).
[Editor Note: Not applicable to patent applications filed under 35 U.S.C. 111(a) or 363 on or after September 16, 2012*]
applicant of an international application desires to enter the
national stage under 35 U.S.C.
371 pursuant to §
1.495, and a declaration
in compliance with this section has not been previously
submitted in the international application under
4.17(iv) within the time limits provided
for in PCT Rule 26ter.1, he or
she must file an oath or declaration that:
- (1) Is executed in accordance with either §§ 1.66 or 1.68;
- (2) Identifies the specification to which it is directed;
- (3) Identifies each inventor and the country of citizenship of each inventor; and
- (4) States that the person making the oath or declaration believes the named inventor or inventors to be the original and first inventor or inventors of the subject matter which is claimed and for which a patent is sought.
- (1) The oath or declaration must be made by all of the actual inventors except as provided for in§§ 1.42, 1.43 or 1.47.
- (2) If the person making the oath or declaration or any supplemental oath or declaration is not the inventor (§§ 1.42, 1.43, or § 1.47), the oath or declaration shall state the relationship of the person to the inventor, and, upon information and belief, the facts which the inventor would have been required to state. If the person signing the oath or declaration is the legal representative of a deceased inventor, the oath or declaration shall also state that the person is a legal representative and the citizenship, residence and mailing address of the legal representative.
- (c) Subject to paragraph (f) of this section, if the oath or declaration meets the requirements of paragraphs (a) and (b) of this section, the oath or declaration will be accepted as complying with 35 U.S.C. 371(c)(4) and § 1.495(c). However, if the oath or declaration does not also meet the requirements of § 1.63, a supplemental oath or declaration in compliance with § 1.63 or an application data sheet will be required in accordance with § 1.67.
If the oath
or declaration filed pursuant to 35 U.S.C.
371(c)(4) and this section names an
inventive entity different from the inventive entity set forth
in the international application, or if a change to the
inventive entity has been effected under PCT Rule 92bis
subsequent to the execution of any oath or
declaration which was filed in the application under
4.17(iv) or this section and the inventive
entity thus changed is different from the inventive entity
identified in any such oath or declaration, applicant must
- (1) A statement from each person being added as an inventor and from each person being deleted as an inventor that any error in inventorship in the international application occurred without deceptive intention on his or her part;
- (2) The processing fee set forth in § 1.17(i); and
- (3) If an assignment has been executed by any of the original named inventors, the written consent of the assignee (see § 3.73(b) of this chapter); and
- (4) Any new oath or declaration required by paragraph (f) of this section.
- (e) The Office may require such other information as may be deemed appropriate under the particular circumstances surrounding the correction of inventorship.
A new oath
or declaration in accordance with this section must be filed to
satisfy 35 U.S.C. 371(c)(4)
if the declaration was filed under PCT Rule
- (1) There was a change in the international filing date pursuant to PCT Rule 20.5(c) after the declaration was executed; or
- (2) A change in the inventive entity was effected under PCT Rule 92bis after the declaration was executed and no declaration which sets forth and is executed by the inventive entity as so changed has been filed in the application.
- (g) If a priority claim has been corrected or added pursuant to PCT Rule 26bis during the international stage after the declaration of inventorship was executed in the international application under PCT Rule 4.17(iv), applicant will be required to submit either a new oath or declaration or an application data sheet as set forth in § 1.76 correctly identifying the application upon which priority is claimed.
[Added 52 FR 20052, May 28, 1987, effective July 1, 1987; paras. (a) and (b) revised and para. (c) added, 61 FR 42790, Aug. 19, 1996, effective Sept. 23, 1996; para. (b)(2) revised and paras. (d) and (e) added, 65 FR 54604, Sept. 8, 2000, effective Nov. 7, 2000; paras. (a), (c), and (d) revised and paras. (f) and (g) added, 66 FR 16004, Mar. 22, 2001, effective Mar. 1, 2001; para. (a)(1) corrected, 66 FR 28053, May 22, 2001, effective Mar. 22, 2001; paras. (a), (c), (d), and (f) revised, 67 FR 520, Jan. 4, 2002, effective Apr. 1, 2002; para. (c) corrected, 67 FR 6075, Feb. 8, 2002; para. (f)(1), revised 72 FR 51559, Sept. 10, 2007, effective Sept. 10, 2007]