1827.01 Refund of International Application Fees [R-07.2015]
37 C.F.R. 1.446 Refund of international application filing and processing fees.
- (a) Money paid for international application fees, where paid by actual mistake or in excess, such as a payment not required by law or treaty and its regulations, may be refunded. A mere change of purpose after the payment of a fee will not entitle a party to a refund of such fee. The Office will not refund amounts of twenty-five dollars or less unless a refund is specifically requested and will not notify the payor of such amounts. If the payor or party requesting a refund does not provide the banking information necessary for making refunds by electronic funds transfer, the Office may use the banking information provided on the payment instrument to make any refund by electronic funds transfer.
- (b) Any request for refund under paragraph (a) of this section must be filed within two years from the date the fee was paid. If the Office charges a deposit account by an amount other than an amount specifically indicated in an authorization under § 1.25(b), any request for refund based upon such charge must be filed within two years from the date of the deposit account statement indicating such charge and include a copy of that deposit account statement. The time periods set forth in this paragraph are not extendable.
- (c) Refund of the supplemental search fees will be made if such refund is determined to be warranted by the Director or the Director’s designee acting under PCT Rule 40.2(c).
- (d) The international and search fees will be refunded if no international filing date is accorded or if the application is withdrawn before transmittal of the record copy to the International Bureau (PCT Rules 15.6 and 16.2 ). The search fee will be refunded if the application is withdrawn before transmittal of the search copy to the International Searching Authority. The transmittal fee will not be refunded.
- (e) The handling fee (§ 1.482(b) ) will be refunded (PCT Rule 57.6 ) only if:
- (1) The Demand is withdrawn before the Demand has been sent by the International Preliminary Examining Authority to the International Bureau, or
- (2) The Demand is considered not to have been submitted (PCT Rule 54.4(a) ).
Although 37 CFR 1.446(a) indicates that a "mere change of purpose after the payment of a fee will not entitle a party to a refund of such fee," 37 CFR 1.446(d) and (e) contain exceptions to this general statement.
According to 37 CFR 1.446(d), the search fee will be refunded if no international filing date is accorded or if the application is withdrawn before the search copy is transmitted to the International Searching Authority. The transmittal fee will not be refunded.
According to 37 CFR 1.446(e), the handling fee will be refunded if the Demand is withdrawn before the Demand has been sent by the International Preliminary Examining Authority to the International Bureau.
Refund of the supplemental search fee will be made if the applicant is successful in a protest (filed pursuant to 37 CFR 1.477 ) to a holding of lack of unity of invention. The supplemental search fee must be paid and be accompanied by (1) a protest and (2) a request for refund of the supplemental search fee.
If the receiving Office and International Searching Authority are not the same Office, any request for refund of the search fee made after the search copy has been transmitted to the International Searching Authority must be directed to the International Searching Authority and not to the receiving Office.