MPEP Section 605.04(c), Inventor Changes Name

Executive summary:

This document contains one section of the Manual of Patent Examining Procedure (the "M.P.E.P."), Eighth Edition, Fifth Revision (August 2006). This page was last updated in July 2007. You may return to the section index to find a particular section. Alternatively, you may search the MPEP use the search box that appears on the bottom of every page of BitLaw--be sure to restrict your search to the MPEP in the pop-up list.

For more information on patent law, please see the Patent Section of BitLaw. For patent services, see the Beck & Tysver pages.

Previous Section (§605.04(b)) | Next Section (§605.04(d))

605.04(c) Inventor Changes Name [R-7]

In cases where an inventor's name has been changed after the application has been filed and the inventor desires to change his or her name on the application, he or she must submit a petition under 37 CFR 1.182. Applicants are also strongly encouraged to submit an application data sheet (37 CFR 1.76) showing the new name. The petition should be directed to the attention of the Office of Petitions. The petition must include an appropriate petition fee and a statement signed by the inventor setting forth both names and the procedure whereby the change of name was effected, or a copy of the court order.

Since amendments are not permitted after the payment of the issue fee (37 CFR 1.312), a petition under 37 CFR 1.182 to change the name of the inventor cannot be granted if filed after the payment of the issue fee.

If an application data sheet is not submitted, the petition may still be granted, but the patent may not reflect the correct spelling of the inventor's name.

If the petition is granted, if the application is maintained in paper with a file jacket label (i.e., the application is an 08/ or earlier series application), the original declaration must be marked in red ink, in the left margin "See paper No. _ for correction of inventor name" and the application should be sent to the Office of **>Patent Application Processing (OPAP)< for change of name on the file wrapper and in the PALM database. If the petition is granted in an Image File Wrapper (IFW) application or if the application is an 09/ or later series application, the spelling of the inventor's name should be changed in the Office computer records and a new PALM bib-data sheet should be printed. If the application is assigned, applicant should submit a corrected assignment document along with a cover sheet and the recording fee as set forth in 37 CFR 1.21(h) to the Assignment Division for a change in the assignment record.