Introduction to Examples 21-27
The following examples should be used in conjunction with the 2014 Interim Guidance on Subject Matter Eligibility (2014 IEG). As the examples are intended to be illustrative only, they should be interpreted based on the fact patterns set forth below. Other fact patterns may have different eligibility outcomes. While some of the fact patterns draw from U.S. Supreme Court and U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit decisions, each of the examples shows how claims should be analyzed under the 2014 IEG. All of the claims are analyzed for eligibility in accordance with their broadest reasonable interpretation.
Note that the examples herein are numbered consecutively beginning with number 21, because 20 examples were previously issued. A comprehensive index of all examples for use with the 2014 IEG is provided in Appendix 2 to the July 2015 Update.
- Example 21: Transmission Of Stock Quote Data
- Example 22: Graphical User Interface For Meal Planning
- Example 23: Graphical User Interface For Relocating Obscured Textual Information
- Example 24: Updating Alarm Limits
- Example 25: Rubber Manufacturing
- Example 26: Internal Combustion Engine
- Example 27: System Software ‐ BIOS