1906.01 Recording Changes in International Register
The IB will record changes and other matters concerning international registrations in the International Register. Such requests are governed by Articles 9 and 9bis and Common Reg. 25. Some of the changes that can be recorded in the International Register are:
- Change in ownership of the registration;
- Change of holder’s name and address;
- Change in name or address of holder’s representative;
- Limitation, renunciation, or cancellation of international registration.
Most requests to record changes must be filed with the IB on the IB’s forms, available on the IB website at http://www.wipo.int/madrid/en/. There are only two limited situations in which a request to record a change may be filed with the IB through the USPTO:
- (1) an assignment that meets the requirements of 37 C.F.R. §7.23(a) (see TMEP §1906.01(a)(i)); or
- (2) a security interest or other restriction of a holder’s right to dispose of an international registration (or the release of such a restriction) that meets the requirements of 37 C.F.R. §§7.24(a) and (b) (see TMEP §1906.01(b)).
37 C.F.R. §7.22.