807.03 Standard Character Drawings
37 C.F.R. §2.52(a) Standard character (typed) drawing.
Applicants who seek to register words, letters, numbers, or any combination thereof without claim to any particular font style, size, or color must submit a standard character drawing that shows the mark in black on a white background. An applicant may submit a standard character drawing if:
- (1) The application includes a statement that the mark is in standard characters and no claim is made to any particular font style, size, or color;
- (2) The mark does not include a design element;
- (3) All letters and words in the mark are depicted in Latin characters;
- (4) All numerals in the mark are depicted in Roman or Arabic numerals; and
- (5) The mark includes only common punctuation or diacritical marks.
Effective November 2, 2003, Trademark Rule 2.52, 37 C.F.R. §2.52,was amended to replace the term "typed" drawing with "standard character" drawing. Applicants who seek to register a mark without any claim as to the manner of display must submit a standard character drawing that complies with the requirements of 37 C.F.R. §2.52(a).